Please use the following resources to make your VIP Program (Section, Area, Region) a success. Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 872-2976. VIP Toolkit Register your VIP Program with National Office and receive updates to help your Program Team Materials Administrative Materials Style Guide/Terms
- VIP (Very Important Player) Program
- Program or division
- ….for children and adults with disabilities
- Provide a quality soccer experience for individuals whose physical or mental disabilities make it difficult for them to successfully participate on mainstream soccer teams
- Buddies are non-disabled persons who assist VIP players on the field
- Down syndrome
- Everyone Plays®
- Use the Registered ® on the VIP logo
The AYSO VIP Program was officially launched in 1991 for players with physical and/or mental disabilities. At that time and for some years following its inception, participation in the program was limited to ambulatory children through the age of 18. Several years later the ambulatory restriction was removed and the age limit extended to the length of time the player remained in school, which varied from state to state.
In 1999, recognizing a VIP player's need for ongoing fitness and leisure activities into adulthood, the AYSO National Board of Directors removed the upper age limit for VIP players entirely. The minimum age corresponds to AYSO's age eligibility – currently 4 years of age by July 31 prior to the start of the playing season or, in some Regions with permission of the Section Director, by the date of the Region's first organized activity – camp, practice or game. Our Current Program boasts play for disabled children and adults in all 14 Sections with over 3000 players.